The 7 February Action Day joins the global Safer Internet day call to ‘Be the change: Unite for a Better Internet!’
Making internet a safe and engaging space for children and youth has been a driving force behind the work of the many partners in the campaign, including Better Internet for Kids, Insafe and INHOPE networks and Safer Internet Centres.
The No Hate Speech Movement mobilises young people to promote democracy and human rights online. The manual Bookmarks on combatting hate speech through human rights education has been a valuable tool for educators and youth workers to support young people in their efforts to denounce hate speech and make Internet a better space for all.
The Action Day for Better Internet aims to promote human rights education as a means to promote human rights and democratic culture online among children and youth
The action day objectives include to:
- strengthen the competences of youth to act for human rights and democratic culture though human rights education, including the manual Bookmarks
- empower youth to report cyberbullying and hate speech or denounce it online through counter and/or alternative narratives
- collect inspiring practices of using human rights education to mobilise children and youth for a better internet, denouncing hate speech, including through counter and/or alternative narratives
- promote education towards reporting dangerous hate speech through national reporting mechanisms and on social media platforms
The Movement activists produced Online Educational Tools and awareness raising content to improve Internet literacy and democracy online: cyberbullying, online safety and identifying fake news. You can share this content on social media. Educational Memes, Hints for Recognizing Fake News Online, DOs and DON’Ts for Online, Competences for Democratic Culture Online
Recommended offline actions:
- Run a Human Rights Education activity from educational manuals: Bookmarks, Compass, Compasito, Mirrors, Gender Matters
- Hold a meeting or organise an event with regional or national representatives to discuss how to strengthen Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education
- Events to raise awareness of national mechanisms available to children and youth to report cyberbullying, hate speech and hate crime
More info: http://blog.nohatespeechmovement.org/action-day-united-for-better-internet-7-feb-2017/